Sunday, April 22, 2012

Knock Knock - The theater gods strike back

Friday.  I had meant to write about Friday’s performance sooner but I was prevented from using my computer or sharp objects while I was on suicide watch.  
Now this isn’t to say that it wasn’t a good performance, the audience in fact gave us a standing ovation.  It’s just that things happened.  Evil things.
Early on in Act 1, suddenly the lights went out.  I’ve mentioned before that the gods of theater do not like technology.  Case proven.  Mathew and Mimi were trying desperately to figure out what was wrong and in order to give us some light, they were able to turn on the house lights.  The result of this was that the audience was completely illuminated.  We soldiered on in true theatrical tradition but it was unnerving to see everyone when you’re used to looking out at darkness.
Bottom line was I was thrown off just enough.  I managed to get out the lines (or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof) and no one in the audience seemed to appreciably know the difference.  The lights came back somewhat after a few minutes but the kitchen area was completely dark.  At one point Lavin is in the kitchen and I’m supposed to comment on what he’s doing.  I couldn’t see him at all.
At intermission, the lights were corrected.  Apparently, the new light board we have was made by Microsoft because the answer to every problem is to reboot.
That problem essentially behind us, we started Act 2 with an organizational snafu.  Being under the impression that I had about 5 minutes before we started, I strolled into the backstage area and heard the music that should be played when I get into position on stage already going.  The lights were also down which is my signal to get into place so I rush out and sit in my chair.
Unfortunately, as I’m sitting there, I realize that Lavin, who initiates the action in the act, cannot possibly know we’ve started and is most likely in another part of the building. When lights go up, I am discovered sitting at the table praying.  I can honestly say that I haven't prayed that hard in some time. 
So there I was, alone on stage with the entire audience looking at me and I have absolutely nothing to do.  Exciting theater.  In hindsight, there is a way I could have covered the dead air but my mind wasn't there at the time.
After what seemed like an hour and a half, Lavin came in and the act started.  No harm done apart from my psyche.  At curtain call the audience jumped to its feet and gave us a standing O.  The gesture was much appreciated but there is that nagging uncertainty that there might have been more than a little element of pity involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment