Monday, March 19, 2012

Knock Knock - An Actor's Journey - One month and counting

     I found the cause of my illness was really allergies.  (I knew you'd been worried.)  great.  I've never had allergies until the past 2 years.  Who knew you could develop allergies on the downside of middle age.  Just can't wait for my senior citizenry.
     One month and one day from opening Knock Knock.  This is without a doubt the most bizarre play I've ever been in.  And I mean that with all love and affection. 
     It is going extremely well but I can't wait to see the technical aspects brought in, being a devote pessimist.  Those would be the heretofore mentioned dematerializations and rematerializations and gunshots through doors and walls and ascensions and burned meat and rocks jumping out of refrigerators.
     The "script in the bathroom" technique seems to be working for the most part but is helpful if you know not only what the words are but what they mean as well.  It is a part of an actor's job (big part actually) to make the playwright's words work.  It might seem that I'm overstating the obvious but in this play I have a speech of some 5 to 7 lines which I do not understand AT ALL.  I may as well be speaking Klingon.  The words are all English, each sentence makes sense on its own but their arrangement next to each other is baffling.  I'm not going to give away which speech because I still have time to have an epiphany.
     To all those who came out on a beautiful day for Super Saturday...God bless our kids and theatres, every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment