Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Knock Knock - Postmortem

It’s a week and a couple of days after the last performance of Knock Knock.  I had thought that I had written my last post concerning the show but since my purpose in writing the blog was to give an actor’s experience I decided I needed one more – at least.
It’s a week and a couple of days after the last performance of Knock Knock.  In many ways, it seems like a couple of months have passed.  The sign on the marquee is still there as of this posting.  We took everything off the walls of the set after the last performance and the walls themselves will be down soon if they’re not down already.
There is a finality in theater.  I don’t care if a show runs 2 performances or 1000.  You perform it full speed every time you do it, you get that rush and then suddenly -- it’s over.  By the time you get out of your costume for the last time, the set that has been your base for 10 weeks is already unrecognizable.
Regardless of the success (or in some cases failure) of a show, there is a sense of loss afterwards.  Theatrical post traumatic stress syndrome I suppose.  It’s very much like sport.  You work and sweat for week after week and then suddenly your season is over and, miraculously, you find the world has simply moved on without taking much notice.
Now that you don’t need them, those pesky lines that you struggled so hard to remember now won’t go away and you’re left wondering why you had so much trouble with them in the first place.  I happened to be over at Lavin’s house on Sunday and we suddenly started doing our Act I lines. 
It seemed natural. 
And familiar.
What’s next?

No comments:

Post a Comment